Employment Opportunities at WildCare
Position: NATURE VAN NATURALIST
The Nature Van Naturalist is responsible for delivering interpretive programs to school children and families. The responsibilities will include:
- Presenting nature education programs at schools, field trips, workshops and other special events as necessary. Most programs will be delivered at school sites in the Bay Area and require driving WildCare's Terwilliger Nature Van.
- Assisting in the development of curriculum and updating of educational materials for all of WildCare's education programs while assuring compliance with the State of California Science Frameworks
- Assisting WildCare Education staff with other functions and projects as assigned.
This is a part-time position, 20 hrs/ week, and does not include health benefits. Benefits include vacation, sick and holiday pay. Compensation DOE
To be considered for an interview, applicants must meet all the qualifications listed below. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys teaching and working with children and has previous experience delivering and developing programs for students in Pre-K through grade 6. Knowledge of and interest in California natural history is a must. Preference will be given to those applicants who have completed relevant college course work in Environmental Studies, and Teaching and Education.
Additional desired qualification: Bilingual - fluent in both English and Spanish
Education: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, with course work in natural science, teaching or/and interpretive methods or suitably related field.
- Previous teaching experience (preferably Pre-K through grade 6)
- Knowledge of California natural history
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent driving record
- Ability to perform work without direct supervision
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft office software
- Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 25lbs on occasion
- Must feel comfortable standing for extended periods of time, and bending to pick up objects and class materials
Application Process and Conditions of Employment
Applicants are required to provide a cover letter, and resume. Hiring is contingent upon receipt of a DMV driving record and a FBI / California Department of Justice background check.
As a condition of employment, the Nature Van Naturalist will drive the Terwilliger Nature Van for extended periods of time to reach school sites, and on occasion be required to work on a Saturday or Sunday or on a Holiday.
Submit cover letter and resume by fax, mail or email. Position is open until filled.
No phone calls please.
Eileen Jones, Education Coordinator
WildCare: 76 Albert Park Lane, San Rafael CA 94901
WildCare leads the way in showing people how to live well with wildlife through a complete cycle of respectful, practical and humane programs in wildlife rehabilitation and nature education. For over 30 years, WildCare's Terwilliger Nature Education programs have nurtured the understanding of California's unique ecosystems and wildlife. Each year twenty-three staff members and more than 300 volunteers care for approximately 4000 animals and educate 40,000 school children in the San Francisco Bay Area.