Employment Opportunities at WildCare
New Position Opening: Nature Education Specialist
The Nature Education Specialist’s primary responsibility is delivering interpretive nature education programs to school children and families. Responsibilities will include:
- Presenting nature education programs for students in Pre-K through grade 6, with occasional presentations to older students and adults at schools, field trips, workshops and other special events as necessary. Most programs will be delivered at school sites in the San Francisco Bay Area and require driving WildCare's Terwilliger Nature Van.
- Supporting WildCare’s Education Department in the delivery of all of its programs, including Center Tours, Wildlife Ambassador Programs, Nature Hikes, Nature Camps and Nature Van Programs.
- Collaborating with the Education Program Managers in curriculum development and updating of educational materials for all of WildCare's education programs while assuring compliance with the State of California Science Frameworks and/or NGSS.
- Supporting WildCare Education staff with other functions and projects as assigned.
This is a full time position which includes health benefits, vacation, sick and holiday pay.
Compensation is DOE.
To be considered for an interview, applicants must meet all the minimum qualifications listed below. The ideal candidate is someone who loves nature, enjoys teaching, can develop a rapport with children, and is flexible and organized.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- Previous experience developing and delivering programs for students in Pre-K through 6th grade, with
occasional presentations to older students and adults
- Strong class management skills
- Basic knowledge of California natural history
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent driving record
- Ability to perform work without direct supervision
- Competent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google Calendar.
- Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 25lbs on occasion
- Must feel comfortable standing for extended periods of time, and bending to pick up objects and class
Additional desired qualification:
- Bilingual - fluent in both English and Spanish
- Completed relevant college course work in Environmental Studies, Teaching and Education, or a related
Application Process and Conditions of Employment
Applicants are required to provide a cover letter, and resume. Hiring is contingent upon receipt of a DMV driving record and a FBI /California Department of Justice background check.
As a condition of employment, the Nature Education Specialist will drive the Terwilliger Nature Van to reach school sites, and on occasion be required to work on a Saturday or Sunday or on a Holiday.
Submit cover letter and resume by fax, mail or email. Position is open until filled.
No phone calls please.
Marco Berger, Education Program Manager
76 Albert Park Lane,
San Rafael CA 94901
WildCare Solutions Specialist -- Humane Wildlife Management
Handyman / Construction Skills for Humane Non-Lethal Wildlife Control San Rafael
Solutions is based in Marin County, with wildlife exclusion experts
serving the North Bay, West Marin and parts of the East and South Bay.
We are currently looking for independent contractors to work in all of
our service areas, primarily Marin County.
The job of a Wildlife
Solutions Specialist (Specialist) is a highly specialized role, one that
is focused on problem solving for our customers and ensures that all
animals are treated humanely and with respect.
We will provide on
the job training for the right person. You must already have basic
handyman/construction skills, a humane ethic, and a natural love and
appreciation for wildlife. The skill set required for this position is
multi-faceted. The individual will be required to learn about animal
behavior and seasonal tendencies. In addition, the Specialist will need
to become comfortable handling a variety of wildlife situations
including but not limited to raccoons, skunks, opossums, bats, pigeons,
foxes, squirrels, coyotes and owls. During the months that dependent
young wildlife are likely to be present, the Specialist will work
closely with each customer to educate them on seasonal behavior and
receive commitment from the customer to not evict the dependent young.
wildlife has been humanely excluded from a residence or commercial
establishment the goal is to solve the problem for the long-term by
sealing up the entry points permanently. Construction background and
handyman skills are required to succeed in this position to do an
excellent job with any exclusion-related repairs the home might require.
It is necessary that the Specialist knows how to use power tools, is
comfortable climbing onto rooftops and has no hesitations going into
crawl spaces and into attics. Part of the job also requires feces clean
up and dead animal retrieval, often in difficult to reach spaces.
job is varied and Specialists understand that each customer situation
is unique. They are comfortable having conversations with customers who
may be anxious about the situation and effectively educating them about
conflicts with wildlife. Educating our customers and sometimes the
general public is a key element to this job. Each customer interaction
and call is an opportunity to educate the community about how to live
well with wildlife.
WildCare Solutions has an excellent
reputation in the community and our customers rely on us for humane
non-lethal solutions to conflicts with wildlife who have made their dens
within structures. Wildlife Solutions Specialists perform inspections
of the exterior of homes, and as needed: the crawl space, roof and
attic, and other structures, to identify damage caused by wildlife and
potential points of entry into the structure. We then humanely and
non-lethally evict any wild animal that has taken up residence in or
under a house, and monitor the activity level. Upon confirmation that
the animal(s) have vacated, repair any damage and secure the entry holes
so no other animals can take over the vacancy. We do not trap and we do
not kill animals, that’s one important distinction that sets us apart
from other nuisance wildlife management companies.
position is preferably for someone based in the North Bay. We are
looking for people with basic handyman/construction skills. You need to
have your own power tools, cell phone, truck and regular access to an
email account. A wildlife removal specialist respects, appreciates and
understands the behavior of local wildlife. You don't have to know it
all, we will train the right person, but you must be interested and able
to learn and retain. Experience working with wildlife and knowledge of
animal behavior is a plus.
• Able to work with and manage a flexible schedule
Basic handyman/construction skills such as using power tools,
installing hardware cloth, replacing screen vents, trenching, caulking,
cement work, etc.
• Excellent communication skills
• Must be reliable and show up at jobs on time
• Keep track of inventory and order supplies (hardware cloth, caulking etc.) when necessary
• Own your own power tools and truck or van
• Must own a smart phone and be able to use a square reader for invoicing in the field• Valid CA drivers license and insurance
• Background check
• Experience dealing with emotional and/or challenging customers; a wild animal in your house can be a distressing experience
Comfortable climbing up ladders, under structures, onto rooftops, in
tight spaces, knowledge and adherence to safety procedures
• Physically fit and able to lift 40 lbs.
• Comfortable asking for help when unsure of how to proceed
• Excellent problem solving skills
Rabies pre-exposure vaccination required after successful completion of
probationary and training period. Incremental reimbursement provided
depending on duration of employment. )
• Have a natural love, appreciation and respect for animals
• Help train new independent contractors in humane wildlife exclusion techniques, as needed
• Enjoy working outdoors, with people and animals (hands-on contacts with adult wildlife is extremely rare)
Must be organized and able to manage complicated scheduling with
well-timed follow ups, ability to manage and prepare invoicing and
receipts according to procedure and in a timely manner
• Based on
findings during the inspection, must be able to provide accurate written
estimates to customers on what the job will cost to repair any damage
and seal points of entry after the animals have vacated
contractor position is best considered a supplemental source of income,
if you work hard, the money can be good but it is not equivalent to a
full-time job; Spring and Summer are very busy, while Winter can be very
Veterans encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume by mail or email.
Position is open until filled.
No phone calls please.
76 Albert Park Lane
San Rafael CA 94901