POSTED: APRIL 11, 2013
NATURE VAN NATURALIST
The Nature Van Naturalist will report to the Director of Education and is responsible for delivering interpretive programs to school children and families. The responsibilities will include:
- Presenting nature education programs at schools, field trips, workshops and other special events as necessary. Most programs will be delivered at school sites in the Bay Area and require driving WildCare’s Terwilliger Nature Van.
- Assisting in the development of curriculum and updating of educational materials for all of WildCare’s education programs while assuring compliance with the State of California Science Frameworks
- Assisting WildCare Education staff with other functions and projects as assigned.
This is a part-time position with 24 hrs/ week and does not include health benefits. Compensation DOE
To be considered for an interview, applicants must meet all the qualifications listed below. The ideal candidate would be someone who enjoys teaching and working with children and has previous experience delivering and developing programs for students in Pre K through grade 6. Knowledge of and interest in California natural history is a must. Preference will be given to those applicants who have completed relevant college course work in Environmental Studies, Teaching and Education and who are bilingual and fluent in both English and Spanish.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, with course work in natural science, teaching or/and interpretive methods or suitably related field.
- Previous teaching experience (preferably Pre-K through grade 6)
- Knowledge of California natural history
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent driving record
- Ability to perform work without direct supervision.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft office software.
- Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 25lbs on occasion.
- Must feel comfortable standing for extended periods of time, and bending to pick up objects and class materials.
Application Process and Conditions of Employment
Applicants are required to provide a cover letter, and resume. Hiring is contingent upon receipt of a DMV driving record and a FBI background check. These background checks are required by various school districts where WildCare delivers Nature Van programming.
As a condition of employment, the Terwilliger Nature Van Naturalist will drive the Terwilliger Nature Van for extended periods of time to reach school sites, may be required to work unusual hours, weekends, and holidays; and may be required to work in a variety of work environments.
Submit cover letter and resume by fax, mail or email. Position is open until filled.
No phone calls please.
Juan-Carlos Solis, Director of Education
WildCare: 76 Albert Park Lane, San Rafael CA 94901
(415)456-0594 FAX firstname.lastname@example.org